Friday, April 29, 2011

Piglet's Story, Part 2

Once we knew that the rest was a cake walk...okay, not really. There's no such thing when it comes to getting children, adopted or otherwise.
We spoke with our case worker later that day and he gave us all the information we needed to go pretty much out of our minds excited! He told us the family who had picked us was a wonderful married couple named Ray and Melissa. They were having a little girl in a few weeks and wanted us to be her parents. They knew they could not provide the kind of life for her that they knew she deserved, and that's why they wanted to place her with us.  He gave us their email and said we should meet them as soon as would be convenient for all of us... we setup dinner for 2 days later on Friday at Outback Steakhouse. It was a 2 hour drive for us, so we spent that time being nervous and wondering how would we recognize them once we got there. We also discussed potential baby names (like we had many times before), and I threw a new name into the pot, Alexa, which I was sure Nick wouldn't like because I thought he would think it sounded too close to a boys name...or one of his other ridiculous naming rules (see #13). He didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. No big deal, we both liked Natalie, so it wasn't a problem.

Anyway, we got there, placed our reservation, then walked across the parking lot to American Furniture Warehouse to peruse (like we've done many times before) as we had got there a bit early. After getting our traditional massages in their complimentary/for sale massage chairs (which we have no intention of buying...ever), we walked back over to the restaurant. And amidst the crowds of people waiting to be seated was Ray and Melissa...but we had no idea!

Even though they had at least seen pictures of us, we apparently are much better looking in real life, because we stood right across from them for about 15 minutes before some awkwardly phrased "Hello"s and "Are you.."s were said. Right from the get-go we were all really comfortable with each other and our chatting went very smoothly.

In fact, Nick noticed that Ray was wearing a pair of shoes that are exactly like a pair Nick's that I happen to really hate (they're kind of like this, but more dressy-hiking boot-esque...sorry Ray)! If that doesn't say match made in heaven, I don't know what does.

Once we were all seated we sat and talked...and talked...and talked for about 3 hours. When Nick and I left, we felt really good about the visit and a lot of our lingering fears from our failed adoption went away. Of course we were still apprehensive, but this was a good start, and we knew it.

No comments: