Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stopping by Suburbs on a Snowy Morning

After it snowed 7 inches Tuesday night, this morning I decided to stay in my sweats all day and during Alexa's nap read poetry. It was bliss (even though I paid for it in overdue blog posts and housework today)!

Additionally, it's National Adoption Month! Hurrah! One poem I read seemed to speak to all those who embark in the adoption journey in any fashion. And so, I dedicate this read poem to you, noble adventurers of adoption (when I read poetry my inner poet just can't help but burst out...sorry)!
 

How Did You Die?
Edmund Vance Cooke
Did you tackle that trouble that came your way
With a resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day
With a craven soul and fearful?
Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it,
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only how did you take it?

You are beaten to earth? Well, well, what's that?
Come up with a smiling face.
It's nothing against you to fall down flat,
But to lie there -- that's disgrace.
The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce;
Be proud of your blackened eye!
It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts,
It's how did you fight --  and why?

And though you be done to the death, what then?
If you battled the best you could,
If you played your part in the world of men,
Why, the Critic will call it good.
Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce,
And whether he's slow or spry,
It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts,
But only how did you die?

I think it's easy amidst trials, whatever they be, that we sometimes forget that the wounds of battle are proof that we fought (or tripped). Also, remembering why we chose a certain path when it can be surprisingly hard does not make that path easier, but just worth all the blackened eyes along the way. 
Have a wonderful Thursday everyone, and Happy National Adoption Month to all! 


PS I promise it's worth it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I failed to comment when I read your post about your temple sealing the other day, but I wanted to say congrats and tell you that I LOVE your headband. It is SO chic. Did you make it?

Rachel said...

No, I didn't make it, but thank you so much! I wish I had the crafty skills to make things like that, but instead I buy them, in this case from Macy's.