Thursday, August 30, 2012

Like to Love in 8 Steps

Thanks to Mike's Camera, Walmart, Goodwill, and Hobby Lobby, I was able to transform a once liked area in our house to a now much loved area in our house, and here's how:

Step 1: Have a place in your home that you want to re-do.


 Step 2: Go to Goodwill and buy some perfectly good lamps for $3.99 each.


Step 3: Cover any area you don't want painted with painter's tape (tip: I only covered a portion of the cord, but I should have covered the whole thing or put it in a plastic bag and sealed it off with the tape as a small section of visible cord is now tinted yellow).


 Step 4: Go to Walmart and buy a glossy version of whatever paint color you want. I chose Bauhaus Gold, which turned out to be a really pretty mustard yellow.


 Step 5: Spray paint your lamps. The taller one only needed 2 coats, but the shorter one got an additional coat after I took this picture.


Steps 6, 7, and 8: Print new pictures and buy new frames (50% off making them only $5 each from Hobby Lobby), buy new shades for lamps ($4.97 each from Walmart), and replace new loved pieces with the old liked ones! YAY!


This was such a fun and easy (did it in a day-ish) way to freshen up a look that was a bit tired, which I will definitely be doing again! This refreshing project isn't exactly done, however. I think I am going to make some cute bookends for my little book collection, I may spray paint the frames a charcoal or something a little less harsh than black, and I may add a couple more pictures on either side of the wall to take up a little more of the space. We'll see where my creativity preferences take me!

I've found my tastes have changed a bit, so now the question is, what do I do with the perfectly good things I can't seem to find a use for right now in my little house right now? Oh well, that's a project for another day!

***In other news, we're one of the 795 couples being profiled by LDS Family Services (our adoption agency) on their website as of yesterday! Woot woot! Check out our extremely awesome profile by clicking here.***

No comments: