Thursday, January 30, 2014

I Really Hate Yogurt!

 My teeny, tiny girl who somehow fit in her brother's vest. It's bit big for a newborn size, but still.


It's not about the taste or the calories or the cultures or the cruelty to the cows or anything like that.

It's about the fights.

I wish I could express how heated and how ridiculous the fights are in our house over yogurt!

Typically my issues with yogurt revolve around the two-year old crazy that ensues when she chooses yogurt for breakfast, and then refuses to eat it. The frequency that this event occurs in our home is border line ridiculous. There's screaming, yelling, time-outs, tears, and through-the-roof blood pressures. I intentionally do not buy yogurt for stints to avoid this decision-making insanity. No sane person could handle this situation well, and at 8 in the morning I consider myself to be pretty well put together. I'm a morning person.

However, to be fair, the stand off yesterday morning was not yogurt's fault necessarily. I was blow-drying my hair and I come out to find a mostly peeled orange with one bite out of it in the sink. Then I found an apple with no bites out of it, just a few bite marks...attempts at eating (nay, food-wasting). And she was sitting down at the table with a yogurt and spoon in hand. That all happened within like 10 minutes.

Admittedly I possibly overreacted, but all I asked her to do was eat some bites of her apple before we started in on the yogurt. So as to not relive the breakdown in my home and in my mind, I'll keep the recount of the subsequent events succinct.

Apples were thrown. Time outs were had. And the 45-minute showdown ended with me sitting on the floor of my daughter's room, crying, because I was out of ideas and I simply didn't want to yell at my baby girl.

I decided to throw in the towel. I let my side of the argument go, because I've made two decisions:

nothing is worth yelling at my daughter
and
nothing is more important than my relationship with my family.

Period.

But that doesn't mean I have to be on speaking terms with yogurt.

No comments: