Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Review: Marley and Me

Okay -- I tried, I really tried! However, I think it's time to admit to myself that reading 50 books this year is not going to happen. That's not to say I'm going to stop trying, but I'm only halfway there and there's only 15.5 weeks to go in the year. One way or the other though, I've really improved my reading habits and had a great time jumping from book to book -- always reading something which was one of my other goals when I started this process. I don't necessarily feel like I've failed, I'm just not as great as I hoped I could be yet, which is okay. Maybe I'll try this again in a year that we don't adopt a baby, write a thesis, graduate, and move to another state. That being said, I'm still going strong and I think I can at least make it to 35 books and if I up my game a bit maybe even to 40. I'll keep you posted! Onto the review...

Marley and Me by John Grogan

It's no secret, now, that I'm feeling a bit homesick for Colorado -- especially now that just two blocks from our condo has been evacuated due to flash flooding. It's crazy! My heart is very much there with all of our friends (who are really more like family) that are trying to stay safe amid all the rain, power outages, flooded streets, and lost lives.

So I drowned my homesick sorrows into this book, and I could not have made a better choice. Of course it doesn't hurt my fondness for the book that the dog is a Labrador Retriever and I had a black version of that same dog as a kid. Smokey was his name and we were like two peas in a pod. He was big and ridiculous as was Marley, so I just ate up all the little anecdotes and how Marley was weaved seamlessly into the Grogan family. The language John used was so comfortable and accessible that I felt as if our memories of our dogs were sitting in a room together exchanging stories.

Because of the movie that was made, most people already love the story of Marley, and I must say that after reading the book I love the movie even more -- which is a sign of a great movie! I cried during pretty much the same parts while reading as I did watching the movie, but there was more purpose behind the tears because I knew more and was more connected to the storyline.

I normally go on and on about books I really love, but there's not much else to say. I really connected with the writing style, the story, the dog, the family...mostly I just think this book was the right book at the right time. It warmed my heart and helped me remember the person I desperately want to become when I have frequently, as of recent, found myself a bit cold, disconnected, and lost. It's quite possible at another time in my life I would not love this read this much, but tonight I'm giving it a hearty and well-deserved

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And as a final sidenote, the subtitle "Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog," is perfect! The book really is about how this family grew and came to be over 13 years and how Marley helped to shape that family. It's perfect and I hope to have a connection with a dog like I had with Smokey, and Marley had with the Grogan's, very soon! It's been 11-years since my overgrown puppy died and it's time to rekindle that flame...now only to convince Nick!

I'm looking for my next read, so suggestions (preferably quick reads) are welcome! Happy reading!

PS I found out that some of the ladies I attend church with in New Mexico have a book club and I just am so excited build my connections here when I attend next month! Yay for nerdy extroverts!!

No comments: