Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Review: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

 
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel, Robin Sloan

I was only 25-pages into the book when I knew I would really like it. The narrator, Clay Jannon, shares with the reader the following:

"I for one welcome our new android overlords" after describing a roommate of his who is "Smart and strong and organized and thoughtful," which of course means she's an android.

Good stuff.

I didn't know it when I started the book, but this was way out of my typical genre. I usually stick to memoirs, historical fiction, or classics. This was a technology-mystery-modern-mythological cornucopia, but I really loved it!

The writing was interesting, the storyline was "meh," but it was a fun read! I was debating between 4 and 5 stars, but a five-star book for me has to impact my day-to-day somehow, and maybe I'm dense, but I didn't see the book's application to my life until it got spelled out for me in the Epilogue, and that wasn't enough for me...although it was nice.

"There is no immortality that is not built on friendship and work done with care. All the secrets in the world worth knowing are hiding in plain sight."

"...the right book exactly, at exactly the right time."

Therefore, this book gets a solid rating of
★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No comments: