Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Review: Breaking Beautiful

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

This is the first entire book I've read on an E-Reader (specifically on my Kindle Christmas gift from my in-laws--it's been put to such good use!), and I must say, I really loved it! I'm not giving up on books with pages, but being able to easily pack loads of reading material so efficiently in my purse or diaper bag is just way more convenient than I thought it would be. I love my Kindle so much!

But this review is not (supposed) to be about my Kindle, it's about the first book I read on it. And, teen lit has never been my favorite genre, but this was pretty good. Reviews are hard because I never want to give away too much, but the challenges the main character Allie is going through are not the typical teenage melo-drama, which was refreshing.

Even still, being inside the mind of a teenager is, for me, dull and pedantic, even in the world of the most talented author. It was also a bummer, for me at least, to read a couple swear words from a Christian author, even if they did fit within the context of the story. In summary, the plot was interesting, but I just didn't care or connect with any of the characters, except maybe for Blake. The unrequited love story-line always gets me!

So, for this book I have to give it a very honest

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

...but that is truly more of a reflection of my personal preferences rather than the writing itself. If you enjoy teen lit, I think this is one of my favorites so far.

My aunt-in-law Jen did write the book, and she is so great, so you should read it just to support her! If you like this one I know she's working on her second novel now.

No comments: