Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Why I Hate Cancer (Reason #3,872)

Subtitle: Why I Love Open Adoption (Reason #1,590)

Back in August we got to meet for the first time Melissa's mom, Alexa's birth-grandma. On Saturday we got to see Alexa's birth-grandpa, Ray's dad, for the first time since nearly two-years ago.

 Photobucket
The only picture we have of Alexa and Ray's dad when she was born.

He was at the hospital when Alexa was born, but lives in Las Vegas so we haven't seen him since. Recently he's moved to Denver because, well, he has cancer.

Photobucket
Alexa with 3 of the most important men in her life.

He has Stage 4 Brain Cancer that has moved into his esophagus making it difficult to eat. So after visiting for a while on Saturday, we went to Fazoli's because they serve soup and that goes down pretty easily. While sitting there he talked with me about his ambitions.

Photobucket
Nick and Alexa playing with Ray and Melissa's cat, Simon.

"I'm going to run again. I have to get strong so I can run again." As long as I live, I don't think I'll ever forget those words. Here's a few reasons why...

Ray's dad is short, has a small frame, has olive skin, is bald, wears glasses, runs (a lot), served in the military, and is very happy quietly watching his family grow.

My dad is short, has a small frame, has olive skin, is bald, wears glasses, runs (a lot), served in the military, and is very happy quietly watching his family grow.

I kid you not, their similarities are uncanny! When I was listening to him speak about how he was going to work hard so he could run and be strong again it was like listening to my own father speak about overcoming cancer if he were ever plagued with that illness.

Some people may call this a coincidence, but I don't believe for a second that Alexa has two grandfather's that share so many wonderful qualities. What a blessed little girl she is! How blessed we all are!

As a beautiful gesture, on Saturday Ray and his father presented Alexa with all of her grandfather's war medals from when he served in Vietnam.

Photobucket

Our hearts overflowed with gratitude! He has other grandchildren who could have received those beautiful medals, but he gave them to Alexa. That memory and those medals are priceless!

How blessed our family is because of open adoption!

And cancer is really stupid.

No comments: