Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bigger Than My Body

I revamped my personal Chore Chart this weekend because things weren't completely getting done with my old way of doing things. So, I re-evaluated what I was asking myself to do each day. Monday was the first day of it and I admit I got almost everything done that I wanted to do, but I had this epiphany Monday night (and an inkling here and there previous to then): there will never be enough time in the day for all the good things I want to do.

It's a bold revelation, I know.

 And you wonder why I don't get as much done as I'd like...

 Answer: stools and cream cheese frosting.

I know all you long-time stay-at-home moms out there are just totally rolling your eyes at me right now, but I thought that somehow, by adjusting this thing or that, at the end of the day I would be able to say "Yes! I've done it all!" Well, reality keeps on slapping me in the face with the fact that my heart is always going to want to stretch my body further than it is capable.

My realization though, as of late, is I don't think that feeling has to be as frustrating as I originally thought it should be. Allow Michaelangelo to explain with the following two quotes:

"Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish."

 "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

It seems to me that Michaelangelo realized that our hearts should be stretching our bodies to try to do far more than they are capable. That is a good thing! In fact, I would venture to say that is a great thing! We should be filling up our days with interests, adventures, and most of all service opportunities that have far more demands on our physical bodies than we can accommodate.

Ultimately my situation has not changed since last Monday, nor will it change for a long time coming. What has changed, however, is my perspective, and I'm really okay with being, as John Mayer put it, Bigger Than My Body.

No comments: