Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What to Respect When NOT Expecting

I saw this post on The R House today and I can't get enough of what a crazy good idea this is!



What to Respect when NOT Expecting is an organization with two main goals: "to give those going through fertility challenges an assurance that there are people out there who get it, and to give friends and relatives of people going through it a gauge on what not to say.”"

You may or may not be aware of this, but the organization I've been heavily involved in, Families Supporting Adoption, is drastically reducing the scope of it's impact and purpose. Essentially it no longer exists aside from a few sporadically hosted events and a fireside or two. Ever since finding out about this development I have wanted to create a safe place for families struggling with infertility to come and grieve together, and I still do, but this organization fulfills in part some of that goal! 

I really hope you understand what a community like this means to those who are struggling very openly or very secretly with infertility and find some way to support this cause!

And just for the sake of sharing, I have had multiple elderly women suggest we leave church and go home and have sex right then so as to "not waste anymore time." And last night in book club someone talking about adoption referenced "giving up" and "real parents," two terms that always make me cringe.

PS I will be updating the blog this week, so we will no longer be "hoping to adopt." Sorry about the delay on that!

No comments: