Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Little Men

Little Men by Louisa May Alcott

Oh, I love Louisa May Alcott's writing style! She slaps you in the face with morals, parenting tips, life lessons, and cute anecdotes as she also sucks you into the lives of her wonderful characters. As I finished reading I felt so sad that I had to say goodbye to the lovely new friends I had made...imagine my joy as I discovered there's a third book in the series (which I have already eagerly downloaded to my Kindle)! Admittedly there were times I found myself anxious to move on from reading about one particular story-line to get to another, but I figure that's a pretty good problem to have in a book. My heart lept for joy as victories were shared and tears were shed as hearts and lives were broken. Even though it took me some time to get from beginning to end, I loved every moment I was able to enter into the lives of the Little Men of Plumfield.

Let me share with you some of my favorite "Alcott-isms" from this trove of treasures she created:

"...for no person, no matter how vivid an imagination he may have, can invent anything half so droll as the freaks and fancies that originate in the lively brains of little people."

"I believe in rewards of a certain kind, especially for young folks; they help us along, and though we may begin by being good for the sake of the reward, if it is rightly used, we shall soon learn to love goodness for itself...The good behavior and success of my boys is one of the rewards I love best and I work for it as I want you to work for your cabinet. Do what you dislike and do it well, and you get two rewards, one, the prize you see and hold; the other, the satisfaction of a duty cheerfully performed."

"...no matter how lost and soiled and worn-out wandering sons may be, mothers can forgive and forget everything as they fold them in their fostering arms. Happy the son whose faith in his mother remains unchanged, and who, through all his wanderings, has kept some filial token to repay her brave and tender love."

"...for gratitude gave a sweet flavor to the most distasteful."

"We live in a beautiful and wonderful world, Demi, and the more you know about it the wiser and the better you will be."

 "For love is a flower that grows in any soil, works its sweet miracles undaunted by autumn frost or winter snow, blooming fair and fragrant all the year, and blessing those who give and those who receive."

Okay, I could really go on and on with Alcott-sm's (I'm thinking I'll just cover my home with these wonderful reminders), but this book absolutely gets

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No comments: