Friday, July 26, 2013

Book Review: Decorate


Decorate by Holly Becker & Joanna Copestick

"I want my home to work for me, not the other way around, and so every design choice I make is based on practicality as well as aesthetics. I really believe a home is something to live in, not just to admire." -Atlanta Bartlett

After reading that quote, I knew I would love this book.

And then I ended up skimming over a lot of it because I saw the picture and was like "Well, I don't care why they did that - it looks really stupid and I'm not going to do it." Most of the looks were very modern and edgy for Nick's and my style, so I had a hard time connecting and staying interested in what the author presented. It was especially disappointing because the book is advertised as offering over 1,000 different pictures of many varying styles, and that's just not how I saw it.

Even though this book was a bit of a let down after my last decorating literary venture, but it had some redeeming qualities. For example..

"Your home should tell the story of who you are, and be a collection of what you love brought together under one roof."

"A laid back, relaxed home comes from allowing real life to be a part of your design, mixing old with new, luxurious with everyday, and family heirlooms with kids' paintings, where the odd imperfection is celebrated, and friends and family can come together and not worry about 'messing up' the decor!" -Atlanta Bartlett

"FALL SHADES Combining forest browns with leaf greens, then adding in a warm turquoise to the mix, creates a warming palette in a room where plain comfort is the key look. Browns work best when they are used in a careful balance with lighter, brighter colors."

"Living rooms are social spaces so hide your television and make sure to have at least three seating positions: a sofa and two others." -Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan

Overall, however, I felt like there was little substance in this book and I spent more time mocking it with Nick than defending it against his mockeries (which is how I know a design book is good). This one is only getting

 ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No comments: